So you want to contribute to the American Military’s Most-Trusted News Source, huh? Here’s what you need to know.
Duffel Blog delivers hilarious satirical content every day, so we are stringent in keeping the pool of writers among the very best. Our best writers have military backgrounds, a great sense of humor, can write above a third-grade level, respond positively to editorial critiques of their work and can consistently deliver great articles (at least three articles per month would be ideal, but it’s not a strict requirement).
If that describes you, send an email to our editorial team with the following information for consideration (Please, absolutely no attachments):
- Your Name (We grant anonymity to posters of the site, but we do want to know who you are).
- Desired username to login
- Rank and Branch of Service (or what your final rank was if you’re a veteran)
- Tell us what your favorite Duffel Blog article is and why
- At least 15 headline pitches (Just a headline with no explanation. If you need to explain a headline, it’s not a good headline.)
- At least one writing sample. This would include your headline (not among the fifteen others) and a properly formatted article. The most important part here is your article, so make sure that it is hilarious (it helps to have someone other than yourself read it first), is in Duffel Blog’s style of news writing, and is under 500 words.
Please note that all six of these bullets are required, and failure to follow these simple guidelines will get your email deleted very quickly. (Any and all submissions to Duffel Blog become the property of Duffel Media LLC).
Once we receive your email, we’ll look it over and decide if we’d like to have you on the team. If you make the cut, you’ll hear back from an editor on the next steps. We get quite a few submissions, so please know that it may take anywhere from weeks, to possibly months, for a response. Unfortunately, we can’t respond to everyone to say they didn’t make the cut, so if you don’t hear anything back in about 90 days, feel free to give it another try.
Duffel Blog contributors are paid a flat rate for each article published. Their articles have the potential to reach thousands — and sometimes millions — of readers, in addition to skewering the national security space in a way that gets our readership thinking and hopefully, affects change. Our readership runs the gamut of the military community, from four-star generals to fresh-out-of-boot camp privates.