Navy Replaces All Sailors With Overpaid Contractors To Cut Costs Drew Ferrol November 14, 2012 Navy 22 Comments Follow Duffel Blog: Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus NORFOLK, VA – Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus went on a tour of the USS San Antonio today to promote his new initiative to separate all enlisted sailors and replace them with civilian contractors. “This is a great way to save the Navy money,” Mabus said as he explained the reasoning behind the pending decision. “Every sailor costs the Navy roughly $300,000 a year, so we decided to give them all generous separation packages and rehire them as contractors at double their enlisted salary. It won’t cost a thing to recruit or train them.” Many observers noted that Mabus has ignored the fact that they were previously recruited and trained by the military. “The San Antonio is a great example of what a new civilian operated Navy can do,” Mabus said. “She’s six years old, a billion dollars over budget, and hasn’t been seaworthy since we bought her. She is a shining example of what the Navy can accomplish without sailors.” “Do you see this? This is efficiency,” Mabus said as he crossed the quarterdeck, pointing to a line of workers waiting to clock out. “An hour before their shift is over and they’re already lining up, motivated and ready to go. They must have finished their work early.” Mabus toured the ship, stopping by four contractors trying to bolt a manhole cover into the deck. “In the old days a sailor with a wrench would do this in twenty minutes. Now it’ll take three hours and only cost $20,000.” Mabus stopped by a closed hatch and tapped it. “See this? If this broke, we would have to recruit and hire someone to fix it, and we’d end up having to pay them for twenty years. Now we can just hire someone to fix it if it breaks.” “Wouldn’t a sailor fix more than one hatch in twenty years?” reporter Nathan Wall asked. The response was terse from Mabus’ assistant. “Don’t question the SecNav,” Lieutenant Commander Stephen Rogers responded. “Let’s see what’s inside this fan room,” Mabus said, stepping inside and waking a contractor from his nap. “Sorry, sorry,” Mabus said, stepping back outside and shutting the door. “Go back to sleep.” Mabus said touring the engines was the highlight of his trip. “Look at this weld” Mabus said, pointing to a cracked weld that was leaking oil. “A chief would never allow such shoddy workmanship. Good thing we fired them all.” Mabus had intended to visit USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) but was unable to after cost overruns on construction of LCS 1 and 2 had placed the contract for all future LCS ships on hold and sparked Congressional inquiry. Mabus said the inquiry was unnecessary and that “there is nothing wrong with the LCS platforms apart from the leaking hulls.” Linda Yates says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM And so, in using this Individuals Idea, our men are without benifits? wth Josh Noble says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM They’re hardly “private” contractors. They would most likely be federal workers from a shipyard, or defense contractors. You know, those companies that aren’t allowed to do private business, therefore effectively making them an arm of the government? A company with any interest in not ruining itself with cost overruns and ineffective management would avoid being the staffing agency of the US Navy. We would intentionally make to many mistakes to get fired. Because we would have that option. Never give a sailor an option to do less work if you want anything done. Mark Whitten says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM What is so funny is.. It’s almost true…lol. Jon Langejans says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM I still can’t believe Congress is supporting this “green” Navy our SECNAV is trying to sell. This is something for the civilian sector not for wasting the defense budget on. “I know, I’ll cut the Navy’s manning levels and leave ships overseas to support my bio-fuels initiative. I need to leave a legacy somehow.” Your legacy is well cemented Sir. Jeanette Ladd Horn says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This reads like tongue in cheek. Is this a serious possibility? Mike Harris says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This guy is brilliant. One day, we can replace our government with civilian contractors and things will be more efficient there as well. Ralph Marcus says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM is this for real? Glenn Dupuis says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This is nothing more than the unions telling the government under their pal Obama what to do. Jim Donovan says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This isn’t news! It happened during the Carter era in an effort to save money. Only thing is, nobody figured out that sailors work cheaper than civilians. So instead of sailors working in the mess hall and watering the grass, they hired civilians to do the work. Makes sense, huh? Timothy Dunkin says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Hahaha hahaha hahaha Robin Stiles says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This story would be Sad, but it is the truth! Jerry Beingesser says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Sounds like something 90 day wonder would do. Thomas Seagrove says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM When a reporter asked how this would save money, SECNAV responded sardonically, “Its math” before moving on to a subject he was more comfortable with… Scott Robinett says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM sequestration, you guys called it a while back. If they are interested, we can help them with a business plan. Thomas Turcotte says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM These cuts are killing me! Stephen Sigler says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This writer is an idiot. Read some of his other articles. If you believe this trash, I have a bridge for sale. Jex Ter says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM This is awesome! Of course they’ll need Marines to protect them, but we can hire expensive Blackwater contractors to fill in for the Marines in actual war zones! Chad Chaney says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM On land, this is how we sustained OIF to a great extent. The truly disturbing trend was when non-prior service civilian contractors started showing up (not TCNs, I’m talking about Americans off the street). Ian Jardine says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Contractors taking over military jobs has never made sense to me from a financial perspective. Gordon Hubbell says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM Satire shouldn’t be so true. Dusty Larson says: April 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM I know this article is over a year old…but from what I’ve seen contractors do an excellent job with their work, and for some fields require a minimum of 4 to 5 years actually doing the job prior to being hired, with an active clearance. Their jobs are on the line every day and they can be replaced if they suck. A lot of other Marines on the other hand just kinda sat around until they were told what to do and weren’t relegated as much responsibility. Really hard to convince guys to stay in for 20 years for $40 to $50k a year busy with military commitments all the time when he could be paid twice as much and better able to focus on the job he enlisted to do. Just IMO.