NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Taylor Swift shocked the world last week by releasing an album with just 16 hours notice. Swift says the album Folklore was inspired by imagination and memory, but one popular internet theory proposes that Swift has actually long been inspired by military experiences. The proof is in the lyrics:
- I see it all now that you’re gone; Don’t you think I was too young to be messed with? — 18-year-old Pfc. Alison Gray remembers the recruiter who convinced her to join as a 74D CBRN specialist as she inhales CS gas yet again.
- I might be okay but I’m not fine at all — the Fort Hood public affairs officer this summer.
- And then you call me up again just to break me like a promise; so casually cruel for the sake of being honest — Capt. Brett Crozier when he was fired a second time.
- Even on my worst day, did I deserve, babe, all the hell you gave me? ’Cause I loved you, I swear I loved you — Still Capt. Crozier.
- I can’t pretend it’s okay when it’s not; It’s death by 1,000 cuts — Lt. Frank McDrew, the battalion Unit Status Report (USR) representative, deep in his thoughts during his fifth 24-hour staff duty shift this month
- You need to calm down — 1st Sgt. Rich Lynn to himself in the mirror after soldier shenanigans interrupts his date night for the fifth week in a row.
- The worst thing I ever did was what I did to you — the Human Resources Manager who sent a new father to Saudi Arabia for three years
- I knew you were trouble when you walked in — Col. Nathan Jessup on Lt. Daniel Kaffee
- Look what you made me do — Mrs. Rivers, who had an illicit affair with Mrs. Klein after their husbands were deployed for the fourth time in three years.
- I’m feeling 22 — no one in the military over the age of 22.
- Why’d you have to rain on my parade? — that one lieutenant who stole that armored vehicle a couple years ago.
- You put me on and said I was your favorite — your woobie.
- We are never, ever getting back together — Addison Blu when he received his DD 214.
- I forgot that you existed — the military after you retire.
Addison Blu and Dirk Diggler contributed reporting.