SOUTH DEERFIELD, Mass. — Yankee Candle Company announced a new line of limited edition candles for veterans today. The “Thank You For Your Service” line will be displayed in a decorative ammo can, with scents geared directly towards Veterans and “expertly crafted to bring back memories they have from around the world,” according to CEO James E. Lillie.
“Our goal is to be able to connect Veterans with the memories of good times, shared deployed with their extended family of ‘Battle Buddies,’” Lillie said. “Our scent experts traveled the world to everywhere veterans have been to try and recapture the smells found there, from Normandy beach and its salty, French scents, to spicy smoke-filled opium dens in Afghanistan.”
Veterans who work at Yankee Candle were asked to tweak the scents, Lillie eagerly explained. Many were newly hired for the project through the VA’s Job Assistance Program, and the creative team then moved forward with little to no oversight from the company itself.
Along with the scents, ex-Explosive Ordnance Disposal staffers developed a new wick, using a slow burning cordite cannon fuse with tiny pockets of black powder at random intervals for a random sharp pop or crack.
The first scent released is named “Flashback,” described as “a delicate balance of spent brass, gunpowder, and dried blood.” It also reportedly contained real mud and dirt from assorted battlefields around the world.
According to a company handout, other scents, to be released every four weeks include:
- Midnight Raid. "Intense, intoxicating, and decidedly masculine, this blend of musk, sweat, and mold covered concrete appeals to women as much as it does to men.
- Mid-Tour Leave. "This luscious fragrance is always the life of the party! Kick back, relax and drift off to the islands with the overly intense, playful tang of fresh-squeezed lime in a refreshing margarita mixed with coconut oil and herpes medication."
- Fallujah Fusion. "The perfect accompaniment to war stories, this is a supremely satisfyingly rich and spicy recipe of chai, burnt flesh and the body odor of the souk. Great spice notes, really perky hints of camel and JP8 make for a hearty scent perfect for waking up to from a feverish nightmare."
- Fobbit. "A delicate bouquet of scents to remind you of day to day life inside the wire. A medley of dry erase markers, stale burnt coffee, and burning feces wafting through on a scorching breeze offset the deeper notes of regret and disappointment."
- Mekong Delta River Cruise. "The deep, pungent aroma of jungle mingling, then giving way to, the dizzying smell of death, left to simmer in a subtropical stew of heat and humidity. With just a hint of napalm on the morning breeze to tie it all together."
- Spider Hole. "In the mountains of Afghanistan, when the brisk woodsy mountain air intertwines with mold, mildew, and wet earth, it can only mean one thing. Close your eyes and experience those days all over again without having to crawl through the dirt with a flashlight in hand. Or just let the smell fill every room of your home so you can feel like you never left."
- Patience. "A heartwarming blend of cinnamon, baking spices, and a hint of freshly poured tea. This candle is designed to provide a calming effect while waiting for your disability claim to process through the VA. The candle features a burn time of up to two years before having to be replaced."
The first editions will be available on Father's Day.