This week in American power projection: the map was wrong, the dorms were fine, and the travel card was for official purposes.
Story Roundup
Pentagon casualties, metric improvement, and Fat Leonard’s least dignified phase.
Situation Report
Free military brief. No CAC required.
Join thousands of troops, veterans, and defense insiders who read Duffel Blog before breakfast.
“A must-read for national security nerds.”
—The Daily Beast
Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
This week in American power projection: the map was wrong, the dorms were fine, and the travel card was for official purposes.
Story Roundup
Situation Report
White House says agreement should not be confused with defeat, retreat, or “one of those bad Iran deals”
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced the terms of a conditional surrender to Iran this week, briefly threatened to resume strikes, then canceled those plans after declaring the surrender “one of the strongest deals ever made by someone who technically won.”
The agreement, which officials described as “not a ceasefire, not a peace deal, and definitely not what it looks like,” remained uncertain as of press time.
“We did not want to rush into any deal, no matter how pyrrhic their victory may appear,” Trump said. “People said a deal was close 38 times. They were wrong. But the 39th time? That’s when I got it done.”
Under the proposed terms, Iran would swear “up and down” that it destroyed nuclear material U.S. officials previously claimed had already been destroyed. Iran would also promise not to restart its nuclear program unless circumstances changed, inspectors became annoying, or the ample bribe cleared first.
In exchange, the United States would agree to stop calling the outcome a surrender while allowing Iran to describe it however it wanted domestically.
“You know, people have criticized Iran deals before, but those were deals made by stupid people,” Trump said. “This is different. We’re very smart people. We know how to negotiate a tremendous surrender from a position of strength.”
Officials said the deal also requires Iran to limit Chinese-supplied air defenses to prewar levels, though analysts noted Tehran would likely purchase replacements using funds provided under the agreement.
Iran has not yet accepted the proposal.
“Congrats on faking yourself out, Mr. President,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps wrote on X. “We will consider the offer, though frankly we have not had this easy a time since sending human wave attacks against the Iraqi army.”
Trump remained undeterred, posting what he called a final offer.
“Three free strikes on the air defenses we already obliterated in exchange for another pallet of cash,” he wrote. “Fair?”
This would be a lot funnier in your inbox.
Get the free Duffel Blog brief every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
You made it this far. Might as well make it official.
Join 20,000+ readers. Free.
A field desk of military mischief and useful bad ideas
You’re in
Your first brief lands soon. Supporter access opens the archive, Sunday Reader, comments, and Duffel Labs today.
Supporter access
Outgoing Company Commander: 'I hate you all'
Oct 5, 2022 · 3 min
Captain charged with manslaughter after leaving Lieutenant unattended in parked car
Oct 5, 2022 · 3 min
Sergeant major says no one is leaving Afghanistan until all the brass is picked up
Oct 5, 2022 · 2 min
Absolute psycho brought everything on the packing list
May 28, 2021 · 2 min
What To Do Next
Add more for free shipping.
✓ You qualify for free shipping!
Join the conversation
Comments are for paid supporters. Support Duffel Blog to unlock the discussion and post opinions that will embarrass you later.
Unlock comments